The Costs and Outcomes of Treating a Deep Pressure Ulcer in a Patient with Quadriplegia
- 0 Comments
- 5682 reads
Hospitalizations related to pressure ulcers among adults 18 years and older 2006: US Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Statistical Brief #64.
6. Bolton L, McNees P, van Rijswijk L, deLeon J, Lyder C, Kobza L, et al. Wound healing outcomes using standardized assessment and care in clinical practice. J WOCN. 2004;31(2):65–71.
7. Treatment of Pressure Ulcers, Clinical Practice Guideline Number 15. US Department of Health and Human Services. AHCPR Publication No. 95-0652.
8. Schessel ES, Ger R. Closure of difficult wounds by external tissue expansion. WOUNDS. 2010;22(6):151–157.
9. van Rijswijk L. Bridging the gap between research and practice. Am J Nurs. 2004;104(2):28–30.
10. Philbeck TE Jr, Whittington KE, Millsap MH, Broines RB, Wight DG, Schroeder WJ. The clinical and cost effectiveness of externally applied negative pressure wound therapy in the treatment of wounds in home healthcare. Ostomy Wound Manage. 1999;45(11):41–50.
11. Ger R, Schessel ES. Prevention of major amputations in nonischemic lower limb lesions. J Am Coll Surg. 2005;201(6):898–905.
12. De Filippo RE, Atala A. Stretch and growth: the molecular and physiologic influences of tissue expansion. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2002;109(7):2450–2462.
13. Austad ED, Thomas SB, Pasyk K. Tissue expansion: dividend or loan? Plast Reconstr Surg. 1986;78(1):63–67.
14. Schessel ES, Ger R. The management of pressure sores by constant-tension approximation. Brit J Plast Surg. 2001:54(5):439–446.
15. Schessel ES, Lombardi CM, Dennis LN. External constant tissue expansion of soft tissue for the treatment of ulceration of the foot and ankle. J Foot Ankle Surg. 2000;39(5):321–328.
16. Schesssel ES, Ger R, Ambrose G, Kim R. The management of the postoperative disrupted abdominal wall. Am J Surg. 2002;18(3):263–268.
17. Brandeis GH, Morris JN, Nash DJ, Lipsiz LA. The epidemiology and natural history of pressure ulcers in elderly nursing home residents. JAMA. 1990;264:2905–2909.
18. Clarke H, Bradley C, Whytock S, Handfield S, van der Wal R, Gundry S. Pressure ulcers: implementation of evidence-based nursing practice. J Adv Nurs. 2005;49(6):578–590.
19. Bennett RG, O’Sullivan J, DeVito EM, Remsburg R. The increasing medical malpractice risk related to pressure ulcers in the United States. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2000;48(1):73–81.
20. Annie Mae Ollison v. Eskaton Homestead of Fair Oaks et al., Sacramento Superior Court, 00AS05801. Available at: www.morelaw.com/verdicts/case.asp?n=00AS05801&s=CA&d=22291. Accessed January 20, 2012.
Dr. Schessel is Chief Emeritus, Division of Plastic Surgery, Flushing Hospital Medical Center, Flushing, NY. Dr. Ger is retired. Dr. Oddsen is a medical engineer consultant. Please address correspondence to: Eli S. Schessel, MD, 108-33 70th Road, Forest Hills, NY 11375: email: WoodWest3@aol.com.